Wednesday, September 10, 2008

10 years ago......

  This picture was of my Dad and Hannah on the day she was blessed. Honestly it was pretty hard trying to find a picture of him with actual clothes on.  He liked to hang out in his underwear!

   
Yesterday was the ten year anniversary of my Dad's death.  He would have loved that he went out with a bang, literally.  I have a firm testimony of the Plan of Salvation and I know that I  will see him again. So I have decided to share ten things about my Dad that I love and or miss about him.
1. His laugh- He had a great laugh and usually if he was laughing I was too. If he was watching a movie and he started laughing I would laugh even if it was only funny to him.  Luke has that same kind of laugh and I believe it starts in their toes.

2. His hugs- For those of you who knew my Dad he was a large man.  He would give us these huge never ending hugs that would swallow you up!  They always made me feel safe and loved.

3. His compliments- On Sundays or when I would get ready for dances he would always tell me I was beautiful. I know he did that with my sisters as well and I think it made us all feel special, I know it did with me!

4. He never said "I don't know"- Even when he didn't know the answer to a question he would still try to answer it and usually at length.

5. He talked to everyone- Cashiers, people on the street, everyone! 

6. His firm belief that the grocery store had a scanner that scanned your wallet as you walked in and no matter what you needed to get it would be the exact amount of cash you had. I believe this as well!

7. His help with school projects- which for me usually ended up being something made out of sugar cubes. A castle and a pyramid both made of sugar cubes. It was fun working on it with him but I think he enjoyed it a little more than me.

8. His love of trains- I remember at one point growing up that the living room was taken over by his huge train table.. But it was so cool and you could see the happiness in his eyes when he was "playing" with his trains. I know we drove him crazy when we played with the match box cars and drove them across the "train tracks" which stopped the train.  I still think it is fun and I will always think of him when I see a train!


9.His egg pan- he loved fried eggs.  And he had a pan that he had perfectly seasoned so the eggs wouldn't stick.  He would be so upset if someone wrecked the balance of that perfectly seasoned pan. To this day when I have a fried egg turn out perfectly I think of him.  

10.His sense of humor- I think I might get some of mine from him.  Like when we would be driving through a neighborhood and there would be a sign that said "Slow Children" he would say something to the affect of "that is mean they would say that about their children, let alone post a sign about it". I still giggle a little when I see signs like that. 

There is so much more I could write about him. I just know that I love him and I miss him.  He was a pretty good Dad and I am blessed to have known him and inherited just a few things from him. 

5 comments:

Judi said...

Your father is an awsome man. I agree that he has a great sense of humor. When I was preg with my oldest he would always ask me "How the constrution work was coming along?" That would make me laugh. I loved that there was always a Super Bowl party at your house and that I always felt welcome there. I think that was awesome that he let the girls have the Master bedroom.

Hawkley Family said...

What a tribute to your dad! I loved reading all those things about him. He sounds like a great dad. He would be very proud of his daughter and her family!!!

Steve and Kelli Fam said...

Kati that was awesome! I wish I had gotten to know him. Sounds like the best kind of Dad! A lot of those things sound like you also!

Blaine and Tirsa said...

That was sweet. You seem very similar to your dad. Glad we get to experience his great personality traits through you.

Bill & Tenna Allen said...

How wonderful to have such great memories of your father. What great stories you can tell his grandchildren. Like others have said you are a lot like him.